Adblocking is now the most hotly discussed topic in the digital media industry. Many publishers and advertisers have hoped that mobile platforms and walled gardens would offer a refuge from adblocking. Here at BHIVE we have developed a solution and welcome the opportunity to discuss it with Media Planners looking out for their clients. In the meanwhile, here are some Quick Facts.
Mobile Adblocking Quick Facts:
- At least 419 million people (22% of the world’s 1.9bn smartphone users) are blocking ads on the mobile web.
- Both mobile web and in-app ads can now be blocked.
- As of March 2016 an estimated 408 million people are actively using mobile adblocking browsers (i.e., a mobile browser that blocks ads by default).
- As of March 2016 there are 159 million users of mobile adblocking browsers in China, 122 million in India, and 38 million in Indonesia.
- As of March 2016 in Europe and North America there were 14 million monthly active users of mobile adblocking browsers.
- A further 4.9 million content blocking and in-app adblocking apps were downloaded from the app stores in Europe and North America since September 2014.